Sunday 13 July 2014

Birchbox - July 2014


Last month's Birchbox was a major let-down so I was hoping that they would be redeeming themselves this month. Although this one is slightly better, there's not really anything in the box that excited me much. Saying that, there are at least a few products that I will use this time.



Weleda Millet Nourishing Shampoo Keep hair in top condition this summer with this natural organic fortifying shampoo. £8.95
I really don't like the smell of this shampoo. I can't quite put my finger on what it smells like, but it's not pleasant! I'll probably be trying this one out on a day where I don't plan on leaving the house!

Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream A light, hardworking formula to brighten the eye area and keep wrinkles at bay. £20.00
Balance Me products get into a lot of beauty boxes and magazines as freebies, and I've actually received this product in a box before. I'm not too disappointed about that though, as I really liked using this eye cream, so this will be going into my skincare routine once my current eye cream has run out.

Laqa & Co Sheer Lip Lube Pencil in Menatour A high-gloss pencil to add a pop of sheer, nourishing and wearable colour. £14.43
I was really disappointed with this when I saw it in the box. It looks very deep purple, which is really not a look I go for on the lips. But, once I swatched it I changed my mind completely. It comes out a lot more pink toned than it looks, so it's a lot more wearable. And, although it's sheer, it's not "where the heck is the colour?!" sheer, and is very buildable. It's also got a hint of minty-ness to it, like the Revlon lip balms, which I know some people hated but I quite liked. So, as it turned out, this wasn't a bad product to get after all! The price is a little weird though - £14.43?!

Gilchrist & Soames English Spa Sea Kelp Extract Mineral Bath This delightfully foamy gel contains marine nutrient sea kelp to invigorate the skin. £11.25
This product smells really nice, but I've tried Gilchrist & Soames products when I've stayed in hotels and they've been really drying on my skin, so I don't think I'll be trying this one at all.

Whish Three Wishes Lavender Body Butter Not your granny's lavender - this sweet-scented antioxidant-rich lotion nourishes skin. £14.50
I'm getting a bit sick of body lotions and butters. I think I've only had one box which didn't have one in (funnily enough the one I loved from a couple of months ago!). Having rubbed a bit on my hand, I would say this was more of a lotion than a butter - I would imagine a butter to have more of a thicker consistency. Lavender's not really my favourite scent to slather on my body, I guess I could use it if I have a shower before bed to see if it helps to me relax at all, but I tend to have them in the morning.

Ultradex Oral Spray A handbag-friendly spray that kills harmful bacteria and keeps breath minty-fresh. £3.65
After lasts months completely pointless flip-flop keyring, it was nice to receive a lifestyle extra which was actually useful. It's really handy to just keep in your handbag and freshen up on the go. It's also reasonably priced, so I might consider repurchasing this.

Overall this was quite a disappointing box again this month. It says a lot about a beauty box when the thing that excites you most is a breath spray! Although I've got a couple of good things here, two out of five beauty products really isn't good enough and, other than the sea kelp, I'm not really sure how these products fit in with the "Sun, Sea & Sand" theme. Although I'm going to keep my subscription for now, after two disappointing boxes in a row, looking at alternative beauty boxes has crossed my mind. Fingers crossed next month will bring a better box.

Have you received this month's Birchbox? Were you happy with what you got?

16 comments :

  1. Urgh god.

    I was so disappointed with last month's box too & i'll probably receive this one tomorrow when i get to work. I can't say i'm looking forward to it really but i gave them the benefit of the doubt to see if this one was any better.

    Its such a pain paying for it and not knowing what we're going to get but i suppose thats the whole point of it really. I think i'll be cancelling mine after this one though :(

    Keli | kelskurls.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame, I was so happy with my boxes until last month. I'm going to give it another month & see xx

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, it's a bit of a pain when they don't excite you! I was thinking of subbing to birch but might wait a little while and see if they improve. Thanks for sharing your link with me on twitter! :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, thanks for reading :) I'd definitely wait until next month's box comes out at least xx

      Delete
  3. Yeah I agree I don't know if I would actually go out and by any of these items, these beauty boxes are such a hit and miss! Hopefully next months will be better :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right! But these products look good! =)
    Great post, I really like your blog! I found it because of the #bbloggers chat!
    Please, check out my blog too!

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) it's a shame these products just weren't for me x

      Delete
  5. I've been debating getting a subscription to Brichbox, would you say its worth it?
    Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hit and miss, but that's the risk you take with these subscription boxes. I've had some really good boxes from Birchbox in the past but that last two have been quite disappointing. I would say wait and see what comes in the boxes over the next month or two, and if it seems like the thing for you then go for it xx

      Delete
  6. I wanted to have subscription,but after reading this have to think twice;)
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Antonella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not worth starting your subscription this month - maybe wait and see what next months boxes bring :) xx

      Delete
  7. Hmm, I'm currently signed up to Glossy Box and I've been wondering about the Birchbox but this post made me think twice! I'll see what next months box is like!

    www.ellenwarnerxo.blogspot.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it still beats Glossybox - I was never happy with them! You're definitely right to wait for next months box though xx

      Delete
  8. It's a such a shame when boxes are disappointing. I have just filmed a video for my YouTube channel this afternoon and it contains good and bad products from beauty boxes. They can be so hit and miss and sometimes all together pointless products wind their way in.

    I don't subscribe to Birchbox but have you tried Glossy Box? They are totally spot on with majority of the products and no useless things like notebooks and gift vouchers which you'll never use!

    Hope you have better luck with your next box

    xx

    ||emsylou.blogspot.co.uk||

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was subscribed to Glossybox for about six months last year but found them really disappointing, maybe their boxes are better now?! xx

      Delete