Wednesday 15 November 2017

A Typical Day At Home With Oliver


I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet with this picture, honest! When I think back to the early days with Oliver, it was pretty much take each day as it comes and roll with it. Now that he's much more settled and growing up, we've managed to get ourselves into a bit of a routine. Obviously, not each day is exactly the same, and we do like to get out and about with friends, but I thought I'd share with you what a typical day looks like when it's just the two of us.


We are so lucky with that fact that Oliver has slept through the night since he was 3-4 months old, and he doesn't actually wake up until about 8am at the moment. When he's awake, I'll take him into my bedroom and give him his first bottle of the day, whilst I stream some of my YouTube watch later list to our tv. We then have a chilled start to the day, playing with some toys on the bed.

At about 9.30 we will head downstairs and have breakfast. I always give him his first, which is usually baby rice, then have to put the tv on to distract him while I eat mine, otherwise he'll get jealous! We then have a play in the living room for an hour or so before Oliver goes down for a nap at 11.30. Typically, his naps average at an hour, though they can be anything from half an hour to one & a half! During this time I take the opportunity to do any tasks I need to do around the house.

Once he's awake it's time for lunch, which usually consists of pasta or multigrains with veggies. Again we follow the same routine as breakfast time. After lunch is usually the time we run any errands we need to, or just find an excuse to get out of the house for a little bit. If we don't go out, we'll just have another bit of play time before Oliver has his next bottle at 3pm. Straight after this bottle, he's off to bed for his second nap, which most of the time will be slightly longer than his morning nap, but I don't like him to go past 5 in case it affects his night sleep.

During the afternoon nap, I take some time out for myself, whether that be working on my blog, a bit of reading, or just browsing the internet. It helps me gain my sanity a little bit after hours of playing with baby toys & watching Peppa Pig! My husband is usually home from work not long after Oliver is up from his nap, so one of us will look after him while the other cooks dinner, which we aim to be around 6pm. If we end up having something that Oliver can't we'll cheat and give him something from a Cow & Gate jar! After dinner is wind down time. We will have a bit of a play, but his favourite show is on at 6.30, so we usually just sit and watch that!

Oliver's bedtime routine starts at 7.30pm when he has a bath. He's recently moved from his little tub into the big bath, which he loves as he can splash around much more - and fit more toys in! During this time either myself or my husband will watch him in the bath while the other will prepare his bottle and get his room ready for bedtime then, once he's out and dressed, one of us will feed him & put him down while the other will tidy up the living room to make it a more adult space again. I think soon we will start adding a book into his bedtime routine, but for now the bath, bottle, bed routine suits us nicely. He's usually in bed just after 8pm.

I'm trying to start my own little evening routine for after he's asleep, but it doesn't always go to plan. Obviously my husband and I like to spend a bit of time together catching up or watching a tv show together, then I will get washed & dressed into my pjs and do a bit of reading or writing before I go to bed, which I aim to be before 10.30pm, but like I say that doesn't always go to plan! This is something I really do want to improve though. we've been blessed with a good sleeper so I feel like we should take advantage of it!

Do you follow a routine with your little one?


No comments :

Post a Comment