Wednesday 6 December 2017

How To Survive Christmas Shopping


I personally love Christmas shopping, but I'm one of the few people in my family that does! For many it can be a source of stress, and they just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible - I know a few people that would happily pass on their Christmas shopping to me if they could! Today, I thought I'd share with you my tips for making the process as stress free as possible.

Have a plan before you go If you have a rough idea of what it is you want to buy each person on your "to buy" list, it makes things so much easier. Way before I start my shopping, I make a list of everyone I need to buy for, and make notes for each of them on shops they like, their interests, and any hints any of them may have dropped through the year. I then turn those notes into specific present ideas where I can. I also make a list of shops that I want to visit, so I can plan my trip rather than just wandering around town with no idea where to go next.

Create a budget and stick to it There's nothing worse than getting all of your Christmas shopping done, then realising you've not left enough money for those everyday essentials. We have a budget for each person we buy for, and look for gifts around that amount to ensure we don't blow the bank. Tick people off your "to buy" list once they've been sorted, to make sure you're not spending unnecessary money on duplicate gifts, and keep a track of what you're spending in each shop to ensure you don't go overboard. If it's going to be too difficult to keep track as you go, it may be a good idea to get cash out at the start of your trip to match your budget, then once the cash is gone, that's it, rather than paying by card.

Do what you can online Quite a lot of my shopping this year was done online, specifically Amazon. Getting as much as you can bought online will reduce the amount of time spent in those busy town centres, and can quite often mean you can get things slightly cheaper too. If you end up ordering a lot off one site, you can often get free delivery too, so those online savings aren't spent on postage. Shopping online can also be a great place to order personalised gifts, which are always a great idea and show a lot of thought has gone into the gift - just keep an eye on the expected delivery dates!

Get there early Getting into town before the crowds arrive mean less time driving around looking for a parking space, and a much quieter, pleasant shopping experience. Even though I do love shopping, if a shop is too crowded then I have to get out of there asap, I just cannot concentrate on what I'm doing if I'm constantly having to negotiate my way around people.

Plan a pit stop If you're going to be out for a long time, it's important to recharge your batteries at some point, before everything becomes too overwhelming. Plan to stop somewhere, either for lunch or just a quick drink, so you can rest your legs, and take stock of what you've already bought so that you can plan the rest of the trip.

Go child-less If you've got kids you'll know how stressful having them with you can make a shopping trip, especially when you're trying to push a buggie around a busy shop. If you've got a willing volunteer, leave the kids with a friend or relative for a few hours - it'll make the trip much quicker too! Just make sure you get their presents whilst they're not there, in case you don't have the opportunity of child free time again!


No comments :

Post a Comment