Tuesday 19 December 2017

My Christmas Traditions


I've mentioned a few times through blogmas that I've wanted to start our own little family traditions now that we have Oliver, but what about all of the traditions we already kept? Here are the things we have done in the run up to Christmas practically every year, some of them since I was a little kid myself.

Sainsbury's mince pies with my Gran I swear every year this starts earlier & earlier too! As soon as my Gran sees them she grabs a pack. They are the nicest mince pies I've ever had, with a really thick, sugary pastry.

Wrapping presents with Christmas 24 in the background If you've not heard of Christmas 24, it's basically a movie channel with the most cheesy Christmas films you could imagine. I first discovered it in 2013, when I'd taken the day off work to make our wedding invitations, and was searching for something to have on in the background. From then I was hooked and have wrapped my presents in front of this channel every year since. Being on maternity leave this year has meant this has been on my tv quite a lot!

A new bauble every year Since my husband & I moved in together, it's been tradition for my mother in law to buy us a new decoration for our tree every year. These are some of my favourite decorations as they're always really pretty, and I featured a few of them in my Our Home At Christmas post.

Secret Santa with friends My group of old school friends have been doing Secret Santa since we left sixth form. We do the draw online these days as it can be difficult to get us all together with us being dotted around the country now. We get together once everyone is home for Christmas, have a meal where we all bring a dish each, then exchange presents and try to guess who got who! 

Cards Against Humanity I swear this game only ever comes out of the drawer during December! We play it at the Secret Santa get together, and round my Dad's house after Christmas. We also took it to the in laws for their Boxing Day do last year and we were all in hysterics, we may have to take it again this year! You need a bit of a dark sense of humour to play it, but it is brilliant.

Watching The Muppet Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve This is one of those traditions we've had since we were kids. The film came out the year my sister was born, so we've been watching it a long time! Since we've both moved out, we've got together at one of our houses, had a selection of party food for dinner and sat down to watch the film. This is one tradition we'll carry on for years to come, now with our children to join in too!

A Christmas morning Bucks Fizz This year is the first year in a long time that I can drink all day on Christmas Day (if I want to!), as I've usually had to drive at some point during the day. Even though I'd hold off the wine during dinner, I've always (with the exception of last year when I was pregnant) had a small glass of Bucks Fizz with my family in the morning.

Christmas Dinner at my Gran's This has been another tradition that we've kept every year, bar one, since I was born. The one year that we did change the plans, we soon realised it just wasn't the same and went back to our traditional ways again the following year. We don't have any of the fancy trimmings that some people do with their Christmas dinner, just a good old traditional roast with plenty of pigs in blankets! And that's just the way I like it! We tend to spend most of the day at her house, and now that we live just two doors down from her, it will be easy to get Oliver home once he's worn out.

What are your Christmas traditions?



1 comment :