Sunday 26 July 2015

Slimming World Sunday - Speedy Chilli


My new Slimming World consultant is the queen of speed food, and is always reminding us that for our main meals we should have at least a third of our plate full of speed foods, where possible. For some meals this is easier than others, though some dishes can be easily adapted to include more speed foods in them. Chilli has been one of my favourite evening meals to cook ever since I started Slimming World way back in 2012. Since joining my new group, and thinking more about what I put into my meals, I've changed my recipe slightly to ensure I'm getting the speed that I need.


Firstly, I start by browning my extra lean mince, and crumble a beef oxo cube in. I used to always use the 5% fat beef mince, but recently I've been enjoying turkey mince a lot. It's leaner than beef mince and really tasty, but it is a little drier. Then I add in some chopped onions and cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes.

After that the rest of my veggies go in and cook for a further 5 minutes. I try to pack in as many as possible to really bulk out the meal and fill me up. I tend to go for chopped carrots, peppers, tomatoes and celery. You could also add in some chillies at this point - unfortunately my husband isn't a fan of really spicy food, so I have to leave these out!

Next I add a tin of kidney beans and a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes, sprinkle in 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika & 1 tsp ground cumin and give it all a good stir. Then season to taste, bring to the boil and then simmer on a low-medium heat for 15 minutes.

You could of course serve this with rice, but to bring that bit extra speed to the dish, I've recently been enjoying serving cauliflower rice with my chilli. All you do to make this is grate approximately half a cauliflower onto a microwaveable plate, and pop it into the microwave on full power for about 3 minutes - dead simple!

I think this recipe is really quick and simple to make, so it's one we use in our house regularly. Quite often we will make a big batch and freeze the remaining portions to have when we can't be bothered to cook! If you're following SP, this is a great meal to have on this plan, as everything in the dish is either speed or protein foods.

What's your favourite Slimming World friendly evening meal?


4 comments :

  1. I like the idea of adding loads of veggies in. I tend to add black beans and chickpeas rather than kidney beans - no idea why but I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I would've ever thought to put chickpeas in instead, I might give that a go xx

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely, I have not long tried cauliflower rice and I really like it :) Great recipe for the chilli and I will be trying that :)

    Pams Stuff and Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice isn't it? I was expecting to hate it when my consultant told me about it xx

      Delete