Monday 15 December 2014

Birchbox - December 2014


I've been a little bit worried that the Christmas Birchbox wouldn't live up to my expectations. You always expect it to be the best box of the year and I know when I've been subscribed to beauty boxes in the part, I've been left feeling a little disappointed. However, Birchbox has done really well with their December box and I'm really pleased with the contents. The design of the box, a collaboration with Sophia Webster, is lovely, though I was expecting something a little more festive.




Eslor Firming Collagen Day Cream Give skin a plumping boost with this ultra hydrating lotion infused with Hydrolyzed Marine Collagen. £50.00
I've not actually heard of this brand before, so it will be interesting to try this out. It's a little pricey, so lets hope it lives up to my expectations of a high end product. It smells quite strong but that won't put me off using it. Having tried some on the back of my hand, I think the firming claims will be true as just from a test patch my skin felt firmer and smoother.

Electric Hair Electric Hydrate Shampoo Help to repair damage and improve shine with this nourishing, moisture-rich formula. £17.50
This sounds like just what my hair needs at the moment, and I'm sure a lot of people will be feeling that way once the festive party season is over, with all the heat damage that we cause our locks, so this was a nice little addition to the box. Again, this is a brand I've not tried before so I'm not sure what to expect but I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Eyeko Fat Eye Stick in Smoke Your smoky eye just got as easy as 1-2-3 with this pigmented jumbo pencil. £8.00
I'm a big fan of anything in pencil form, as it makes application so much quicker and easier. The colour of this pencil blends out really nicely to give a gorgeous smoky look. I really like this product and I think it's really affordable - the pigmentation is a lot better than the Clinique chubby sticks which I think are around double the price. This was available in two shades, and I'm considering purchasing the one I didn't receive,

Benefit High Beam Christmas Cracker Open the cracker to discover Benefit's High Beam; a suits-all-skintones liquid illuminator. £19.50
This has been on my to-try list for the longest time. I really love Benefit's Watts Up highlighter - in fact a lot of their cheek products are amazing - and I've wanted to test this out to compare. The little Christmas cracker packaging that this came in was so cute. I cannot wait to give this a go!

Models Own Nail Polish in Absinthe Matte, yet sparkly, this multi-dimensional shade has a velvety finish that we're obsessed with. Matte varnish means no topcoat needed. £5.00
This looks stunning. I love a glitter nail polish at this time of year, but green is missing from my collection, so I'm glad this is the shade I got out of the ones available. The whole matte/glitter thing sounds quite interesting, I'm looking forward to painting this on my nails to see if it's a finish I actually like. I don't know why, but I always thought Models Own polishes were more expensive than a fiver, so if I like this I may have to purchase some more.

English Laundry Signature for Her A scent inspired by an English country garden - rose geranium and white flowers with hints of chocolate and jasmine. £60.00 for 50ml
Perfume samples are always a bit of a disappointment to me, and I feel like I've tried this scent before, so this item wasn't much of a winner for me, but it looks like this is an extra item anyway, as I usually only receive five things, so I can't grumble too much - especially as this is the only thing I didn't really like! The scent is ok, nothing I'd rush out and buy, but nothing so bad I'd never use it.

Sophia Webster Purse Take a walk on the wild side with this leopard print pouch from the coveted designer and Birchbox collaborator. £25.00
I'm struggling to see how this purse is worth £25, but either way I think this will come in really handy for nights out just to carry my money in, or perhaps a little makeup touch-up kit, as it's very slim and sleek it would easily fit into a little clutch bag.

When I first subscribed to Birchbox, I was going to give it a few months and see how I felt, but it was always my intention to cancel at the end of the year either way. Now we've got to the end of the year, I feel like I want to give it a few more months and see what 2015 has to offer from them. A couple of dodgy months aside, I've been really happy with what I've received. The box has helped me to discover a few new brands I probably would never have tried otherwise, and has helped me to make a decision on a few products I'd previously been debating whether to purchase. I feel like I'm not quite ready to let go just yet, so I'm going to go back on everything I said at the start of the year! Eeven though I'll be continuing to receive the boxes, I'm not 100% sure yet if I'll continue to write posts on them - let me know in the comments if this is something you'd still like to read, or if you're not bothered either way.

Did you receive the December Birchbox? What did you get inside yours?


No comments :

Post a Comment