Saturday 20 December 2014

Festive Red Lips


A classic red lip can look good on a night out at any time of the year, but it's only ever really around Christmas time that I get my full use out of my collection. They are the perfect product to add something a little more festive to your look, and I love teaming them with a very basic eye to really make the lips stand out. I've had a rummage around in my makeup drawers and pulled out eight of my favourites.



l-r: Candy Apple, Striking, Rioja Red, Rio Rio, Blake's Red, Personne ne Rouge, Cherries in the Snow, Russian Red

Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple If your lips are having a bad day but you still want to rock the red lip, this is the one to go for. A lot of the red lipsticks I have are in a matte formula, but the Revlon lip butters are so moisturising, I really enjoy wearing them in the winter to help soothe my dry lips. Of course you're not going to get the pigmentation or staying power of the other lippies, but it's definitely the most nourishing of the bunch.

Revlon Matte Balm in Striking I absolutely love these lip crayons, they are matte but still not drying at all on the lips. I became a little obesessed when they first came out and now have almost the entire collection - I wish they'd bring out some more! There are two reds in the range but my favourite is Striking. It's the lighter of the two and has a slightly more orange tone to it. I think this one if very wearable day or night.

Sleek Matte Me in Rioja Red If you're looking for super staying power, then this bad boy is the one to go for. This product stays on your lips for a ridiculous amount of time, so much so that it's a bit of a bugger to remove before bedtime. I think if I opt for a red lip on Christmas Day, it will be this one simply for the fact that I know it will stay put throughout dinner.

Topshop Lipstick in Rio Rio This again is a lipstick with more of an orange tone to it, and is quite similar to Striking. This one has more of a slightly creamy consistency to it, so if you're not looking for a completely matte look, this would be the better option for you. The wear time for Topshop lipsticks is pretty good, but you are going to have to top this up if you're eating.

L'Oreal Collection Exclusive in Blake's Red This is the newest addition to my lipstick collection, but I've been trying to get hold of it for the longest time. I loved the nude collection that L'Oreal released so when I saw a reds collection had hit the shelves, I had to get in on that. Unfortunately my favourite of the shades appeared to be the most popular, so I only managed to get hold of it last weekend! I recently saw Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup describe this as a good dupe for MAC's Ruby Woo, and I'd say she's pretty spot on, though this one would be much more comfortable to wear!

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Personne ne Rouge These are another new release that I've raved about this year. I love how they dry to a matte finish but are still really comfortable to wear. There's quite a few reds in the collection - surprising as the shade range is still quite small - and my favourite is Personne ne Rouge, as it's probably the most true red of those available.

Revlon Super Lustrious Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow A lot of bloggers have gone mad over the lipstick in the past, but I feel like the hype has died down a little now. This was a favourite of mine last winter, and I still love it now, It's quite pinky toned, so not your typical red, but I think it looks so beautiful on. It's a Creme formula too, so it's not going to be uncomfortable to wear, but it's still surprisingly long lasting.

MAC Lipstick in Russian Red This is my idea of the classic red lipstick. I adore the deep red tones to it and, even though it's a matte formula, it's definitely more comfortable than other MAC matte lipsticks, though it can still be a little drying so make sure your lips are properly moisturised before applying. Despite this I still love it, and it's probably my favourite red lipstick from my collection.

What's your favourite red lipstick?



5 comments :

  1. I have been loving red lips a lot recently and I do agree, they most definitely are the best during Christmas time. I love your photos by the way, they are of such amazing quality. Thank you for the Sleek recommendation. I have never tried them out and if you're saying that they stay on for so long, I think I will give one a go soon. Great post! x

    ~ www.brunette-wavez.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun :) Definitely give the Sleek Matte Me a go, this red is the only shade I have at the moment but I'm desperate to pick up some more xx

      Delete
  2. I want russian red so badly, it definitely goes with the idea of classic red in my opinion! Love your collection. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete